Teacher Interview Question – Tell Me About Yourself

Stop and think before you answer this question.  The interviewers really don’t want to hear your life story or the names of all your 20 cats.  Rather what they are listening for is how well you will fit into the school, work with your colleagues, and relate to your students.

Talk about yourself and 1-2 life experience, but ALWAYS tie it back to how it will help you in teaching.

For example:

“I would describe myself as adventurous and outgoing.  Last year I traveled throughout Southeast Asia, traveling to four countries.  I love learning about new cultures and meeting new people.  This is one of the reasons I want to teach at {insert school name}.  It has amazing diversity.  I would take this same enthusiam and apply it to learning more about my students and their backgrounds.”

Article Global Facebook Twitter Myspace Friendfeed Technorati del.icio.us Digg Google StumbleUpon Eli Pets

This entry was posted in Finding a Job, Teacher Interview Questions and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Teacher Interview Question – Tell Me About Yourself

1. whiteflower says:

thi is very useful thanks alot

2. noshee says:

hi: its very help ful

3. tommy says:

Thanks. Just going to a job interview in half an hour. this info will come handy. :)

4. chillycookoff says:

Who doesn’t like to travel? Who doesn’t want to know more about their students? It would be nice to know abit more about YOU, afew more specifics please.

5. magali says:

Thanks, I do my best.

6. Katimi Protus says:

Apart from travelling who are you ,say your qualifications,work experience, if any ,to confirm if the information tally with what you have submitted in your cv

7. etechno placements says:

Hi Instead of telling of your travel passion consider this
    You should take this opportunity to show your communication skills by speaking clearly and concisely in an organized manner.
    Because there is no right or wrong answer for this question, it is important to appear friendly.
    ”I attended MIT where I majored in Electrical Engineering. My hobbies include basketball, reading novels, and hiking.”
    “I grew up in Korea and studied accounting. I worked at an accounting firm for two years and I enjoy bicycling and jogging.”
    “I’m an easy going person that works well with everyone. I enjoy being around different types of people and I like to always challenge myself to improve at everything I do.”
    ”I’m a hard worker and I like to take on a variety of challenges. I like pets, and in my spare time, I like to relax and read the newspaper.”
    ”I’ve always liked being balanced. When I work, I want to work hard. And outside of work, I like to engage in my personal activities such as golfing and fishing”